This year Guardian travel
and Been there
have teamed up with &Beyond
to offer an absolutely amazing prize for the overall 2011 winner: a photographic safari to &Beyond's Ngala safari lodge
, plus a follow-up assignment in Guardian travel and guardian.co.uk/travel on the trip.
The prize is a five-day/ four-night specialist photography safari at the Ngala safari lodge in Kruger national park, for two people. An expert &Beyond
ranger specialised in photography will assist the winner in tailormaking a specialist photographic safari to fulfill their ‘wish-list’ of photographic subjects. Together with the use of a private safari vehicle, this will enable the winner to capture as many wildlife moments as a professional would.
On top of this the prize also includes all meals, teas and coffees, bush walks, laundry and emergency medical evacuation insurance, as well as the travelling costs for one person to/from Ngala.&Beyond
Ngala Private Game Reserve shares an unfenced boundary with the world-renowned Kruger National Park, South Africa’s largest wildlife sanctuary and one of the biggest nature reserves in the world (encompassing 2 million hectares of wilderness). A spectacular diversity of wildlife moves through this immense wilderness – elephant, leopard, spotted hyena, giraffe, buffalo and white rhino. Meaning “lion” in Shangaan, Ngala lives up to its name, supporting several prides of these powerful cats. Cheetah and African wild dog also regularly move through the Reserve.
The winner will also get to see their resulting photos published on guardian.co.uk/travel
as well as a story of their trip published in the Guardian travel section.To enter
, check out the photo competition information page hereTerms and conditions
You hereby agree that you have taken the photograph(s) you have sent to us or you have permission from or are authorised by the owner of the photograph(s) to send it (them) to us, and you are granting us a non-exclusive, royalty-free licence to publish or otherwise use the photograph(s) in any way and at any time we want on the Guardian Unlimited web site. Selected photographs will be published at the discretion of the editor and you will not be paid, even if your photograph(s) is (are) published. We may cut, edit, crop or arrange your photograph as we think fit to appear on the Guardian Unlimited web site, and we may remove your photograph(s) at any time. Your name will be published alongside your photograph(s) or graphic, but we may edit or delete any comments which you submit along with your photograph(s) or graphic. IMPORTANT: You or the owner of the photograph(s) still own the copyright in the photograph(s) sent to us and are free to republish the photograph(s) wherever you or the owner wish and in whatever medium you or the owner want.
1. The Been there photography competition (the “Competition”) is open to UK residents aged 18 and over (“You”) subject to paragraph 2. below.
2. Employees or agencies of Guardian News & Media Limited (“GNM”, “We”) its group companies or their family members, freelance contributors to GNM, or anyone else connected with the Competition may not enter the Competition.
3. By entering the Competition you are accepting these terms and conditions.
4. To enter the Competition, you must email in a high res jpeg imagein relation to the theme from that month. You can find full details of the themes and you can enter on ivebeenthere.co.uk/articles/send-a-photo.jsp
5. Your image must not have been published before in any other publication (or on their website).
6. You should email your entry to us at: email@example.com
You must state which of the 11 themes you are entering, and include your name, address and daytime contact telephone number.
7. If You have any questions about how to enter or in connection with the Competition, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
with “Monthly photo competition” in the subject line.
8. You are responsible for the cost (if any) of sending your Competition entry to us.
9. Only one entry is permitted per person, in one category.
10. The closing date and time of each monthly Competition is 11.59pm on the 26 of each month in 2011. Entries received after that date and time will not be considered.
11. You own the copyright to your Competition entry as its author.
12. By submitting an entry to the Competition, You give GNM:
a. Permission for your entry to be published in any GNM publication and on guardian.co.uk and grant GNM a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide licence to republish your Competition entry in electronic format and hard copy for purposes connected with the Competition (including, but not limited to, for the purposes and in the manner set out in paragraph 19 below); and
b. The right to use your name and town or city of residence for the sole purpose of identifying You as the author of your entry and/or as a winner or runner-up of the Competition.
13. Your entry must be your own work, must not be copied, must not contain any third-party materials and/or content that You do not have permission to use and must not otherwise be obscene, defamatory or in breach of any applicable laws or regulations. If We have reason to believe your entry is not your own work or otherwise breaches this paragraph 13, then We may not consider it.
Picking the winners
14. The monthly Competition will be judged by independent judge Natalie Mayer. She will choose one winning entry each month for the Competition, and a two runners up. Each winning entry will be entered into the overall competition and the overall winner chose by reader vote on guardian.co.uk/travel. Details of the independent judge are available on request to email@example.com.
15. When choosing the winners, the judges will be looking for the most well composed, artistic and original image that evokes the best interpretation of the theme.
16. The judges’ decision of who the winners are will be made on or before the 1 of every month in 2011. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
17. a) The monthly prize is a £200 voucher to use on Point101.com b) the overall prize, with compliments of &Beyond, includes four nights’ accommodation for two guests sharing at Ngala Safari Lodge, situated in the wildlife-rich &Beyond Ngala Private Game Reserve in the Kruger
National Park, South Africa. An expert &Beyond ranger specialised in photography will assist you in tailormaking a specialist photographic safari to fulfill your ‘wish-list’ of photographic subjects. Together with the use of a
private safari vehicle, this will enable you to capture as many wildlife moments as a professional would. 10. Your safari also includes all meals, teas and coffees, bush walks, laundry and emergency medical evacuation insurance, as well as the travelling costs for one person to/from Ngala. 11.
Excluded are flights to/from Ngala for the second person, drinks, transfers, telephone calls, gratuities, extras, Safari Shop purchases, park fees (if applicable) and items of a personal nature. 12. This prize is valid from 1 February – 20 December 2012, but is not valid for any peak periods such
as Christmas, Easter, long weekends or school holidays. The offer is not transferable or redeemable for cash. Normal terms and conditions apply.
18. The winners will be notified by GNM by telephone or by email on or before 1 of every month in 2011 and will be given details of how to claim their prize. If a winner does not respond to GNM within 7 days of being notified by GNM, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and GNM shall be entitled to select another winner (and that winner will have to respond to the phone call or email from GNM within 7 days or else they will also forfeit their prize). If a winner rejects their prize, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and GNM shall be entitled to select another winner.
19. The overall winner will have their report and photos of their trip printed in the Travel section of the Guardian and on guardian.co.uk/travel (at GNM’s sole discretion) at a later date.
20. The prizes cannot be exchanged or transferred by You and cannot be redeemed by You for cash or any other prize. You must pay all other costs associated with the prize and not specifically included in the prize including, without limitation, meals (other than those specified), personal expenses, insurance and transfers.
21. We retain the right to substitute the prizes with other prizes of similar value in the event that the original prizes offered are not available.
Some other rules
22. Entries on behalf of another person will not be accepted and joint submissions are not allowed.
23. We take no responsibility for entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason. Proof of delivery of the entry is not proof of receipt.
24. Details of the winners can be obtained by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address: Readers’ Summer Holiday Travel Writing competition, Guardian Travel desk, Guardian News & Media Limited, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU.
25. No purchase is necessary.
26. The winners may be required for promotional activity.
27. The Promoter of the Competition is Guardian News & Media Limited whose address is Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU. Any complaints regarding the Competition should be sent to this address.
28. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall exclude the liability of GNM for death, personal injury, fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation as a result of its negligence.
29. GNM accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by You as a result of entering the Competition or accepting any prize.
GNM further disclaims liability for any injury or damage to You or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in connection with the Competition.
30. GNM reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this Competition with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its control (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected or actual fraud). The decision of GNM in all matters under its control is final and binding.
31. GNM shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations where the failure is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but not be limited to, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.
32. The Competition will be governed by English law.